Cottage Pie with Sweet Potato Mash
Cottage Pie with Sweet Potato Mash is a healthy version of this all-time family favourite.
Per serving: 400 calories, 2.8% fat (excluding accompaniments)
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
2 large (300g total) sweet potatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
200g extra lean minced beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, grated
1 tbsp gravy powder
1 beef stock cube
a little milk to mix with the mash
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel the potatoes, cut into small chunks and boil in water with the vegetable stock cube. When cooked, drain the potatoes, reserving the cooking water for the gravy later.
- Meanwhile, preheat a non-stick wok or frying pan. Add the mince and dry-fry until it changes colour. Drain the mince through a colander, reserving the juices in a gravy separator. Return the mince to the pan and add the chopped onion and cook until soft. Add the grated carrot and mix well, then turn off the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6.
- Start to make the gravy by mixing the gravy powder with a little cold water in a pan, then crumble in the beef stock cube. Pour in 300ml of the reserved potato cooking water and stir well. Slowly heat, stirring continuously to prevent the gravy from going lumpy. When boiling, add some gravy into the mince and vegetable pan, then pour the mince and vegetables into a pie dish.
- Mash the potatoes, adding a little milk and some freshly ground black pepper, until smooth and quite soft.
- Carefully pile the mashed potato on top of the mince, making sure the mince is sealed to the edges to prevent the gravy bubbling out during cooking.
- Place the cottage pie in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve with 115g broccoli and 115g carrots and the remaining gravy.