Rosemary demonstrates how to cook this creamy-tasting favourite.
Oven-baked means no additional fat is required. The yogurt adds a rich smooth creamy texture as well as toning down the spicy ﬂavour.
Per serving: 334 Calories, 9.6g fat (excluding rice)
Prep time 10 mins
Cook Time 25 mins
600ml (1 pint) tomato passata
300ml (1⁄2 pint) low-fat live natural yogurt
2 tbsps chopped fresh coriander
freshly ground black pepper
mint leaves to garnish
4 tbsps tomato purée
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 x 2.5cm (1in) piece fresh ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small red chilli, deseeded and chopped
juice of 1 lime
2 tsps vegetable bouillon stock powder
- Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6. Cut the chicken in half and place in a bowl and season well with black pepper.
- Place the tikka paste ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Spread the tikka mixture over the chicken, coating on all sides. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a non-stick roasting tin and place in the oven for 15 minutes until lightly roasted. Remove from the oven and stir in the tomato passata.
- Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes to heat through. Check that the chicken is fully cooked.
- Just before serving, stir in the yogurt and coriander. Spoon into a warmed serving dish and garnish with mint leaves.
- Serve with basmati rice cooked in boiling water with a vegetable stock cube.