A healthy version of this take-away favourite.
Per serving: 220 calories, 1.8g fat
Prep time 25 mins
Cook time 40 mins
2 medium onions, ﬁnely chopped
2 courgettes, diced
1 small aubergine, diced
1 large red pepper, seeded and diced
175g (6oz) red lentils
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
150ml (1⁄4 pint) vegetable stock
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsps chopped fresh thyme
2 tsps garam masala curry powder
8 cardamom pods, crushed and seeds removed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh mint to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6.
- Place the prepared vegetables into a roasting tin, season well with salt and black pepper and bake at the top of the oven for 25–30 minutes until lightly roasted.
- In a large saucepan, bring to the boil the lentils, tomatoes, stock, garlic, thyme and spices.
- Simmer for 15–20 minutes to soften the lentils and allow them to absorb the liquid.
- Add the roasted vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the ﬂavours to combine.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with fresh mint.