Rosemary demonstrates how to prepare this quick favourite.
This recipe is very simple to make and freezes well. Serve with a salad or with boiled basmati rice.
Per serving: 340 calories, 7g fat (excluding rice) (505 calories with rice)
Prep time 10 mins
Cook Time 30 Mins
1 large onion, finely chopped
Rapeseed oil spray
2 heaped teaspoons chilli powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed or a teaspoon of ‘easy garlic’
500g 5% fat lean minced beef
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g can branded red kidney beans in chilli sauce
2 tablespoons tomato purée
Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large pan and spray with the rapeseed oil.
- Add the finely chopped onion and the garlic and cook until soft then add the chilli powder to cook out.
- Add the mince and stir well until it changes colour and almost cooked.
- Add the canned chopped tomatoes and the can of chilli beans in their sauce into the pan and mix well.
- Finally add the tomato puree and a generous amount of fresh ground black pepper and stir into the mixture.
At this stage you can place it in a casserole dish and leave in the fridge for a day or two until required. When needed, place the casserole a moderate oven (180C/350F/Gas 4) for 30 minutes or simmer in a pan on top of the stove, stirring regularly to ensure it doesn’t burn, and cook for around 15 minutes.
Season to taste and serve salad or 55g [dry weight] basmati rice or 1 blue Portion Pot® (Rice adds 205 calories to the dish.)