A delicious Low-Fat Christmas Cake.
This Christmas Cake reaches a whole different level of deliciousness! It tastes less greasy and more fruity than traditional Christmas Cake and benefits from being made at least one week before you intend to serve it. Calories are excluding any icing or marzipan.
Makes approx. 20 slices
Per slice: 228 calories, 2.8g fat
Prep time 30 mins
Cook time 2 – 2½ hours
225g (8oz) no pre-soak prunes, pitted
115g (4oz) cooking apple, peeled & grated
175g (6oz) dark muscovado sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 lemon and 1 orange, zested
175g (6oz) self-raising ﬂour, sifted
1 tbsp mixed spice
50g (2oz) sunﬂower seeds
225g (8oz) currants
225g (8oz) sultanas
225g (8oz) raisins
115g (4oz) glacé cherries
120ml (4ﬂ oz) brandy
2 tbsps apricot jam, sieved, to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3. Lightly grease and line a round cake tin (20cm/8in diameter, 7.5cm/3in deep) with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the prunes and apple. Add the sugar, then beat in the eggs a little at a time.
- Press down the mixture to squash the prunes.
- Mix in the lemon and orange zest, then carefully fold in the ﬂour, spice, sunﬂower seeds and fruit.
- Gradually stir in the brandy.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin.
- Using the back of a metal spoon, make a slight dip in the centre to allow for an even top once baked. Bake in the oven for 2 – 2½ hours or until a metal skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack, then remove the greaseproof paper. Glaze by brushing with warmed apricot jam and arrange some cherries or dried fruits on top. Store in an airtight container.