How to cook Low-Fat Christmas Pudding (v)
Low-Fat Christmas Pudding
Low-Fat Christmas Pudding is so easy to make and it tastes even better than traditional recipes which contain suet making them much higher in fat. It is suitable for vegetarians. Steaming gives a nicer, more moist pudding but the microwave method is also good. If you wish, you can soak the fruit in the brandy, rum or beer and leave overnight. You can make this Christmas pudding two weeks (or more) in advance to maximise the flavours. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of brandy or rum each week leading up to Christmas.
Per serving 280 kcal/2.5g fat
Preparation time 20 mins
Microwave 15 – 20 mins
Steaming 3 hours to cook, 2 hours to re-heat
84g (3oz) currants
84g (3oz) sultanas
112g (4oz) raisins
84g (3oz) glacé cherries, halved
84g (3oz) plain or self-raising ﬂour
1 tsp mixed spice
1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
56g (2oz) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
56g (2oz) dark brown sugar
2 tsps gravy browning
grated zest of 1⁄2 lemon
grated zest of 1⁄2 orange
112g (4oz) grated apple
112g (4oz) carrots, ﬁnely grated
4 tbsps brandy or rum
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 eggs, beaten
4 tbsps semi-skimmed milk
2 tbsps black treacle or cane sugar syrup
extra 4 tbsps rum or brandy for reheating
- Combine all the dry ingredients and all the wet ingredients in 2 separate bowls. Mix together and add the beaten egg.
- Continue mixing until all the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 1.2 litre (2 pint) pudding basin or glass bowl and cover with aluminium foil if steaming (not if microwaving).
- Place in a steamer (or in a large saucepan with a smaller lid placed downwards in the pan, or on a heat-proof plate turned upside-down, upon which the bowl will stand) and cook, covered, for 3 hours.
- If microwaving the pudding, place an upturned plate over the basin and microwave on full power for 5 minutes. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then microwave for a further 5 minutes.
- After cooking, allow the pudding to cool, then wrap in aluminium foil or place in an air-tight container and leave in a cool, dry place until required.
- To reheat the pudding, steam for 1–2 hours, or microwave for 10 minutes.
- When cooked, run a knife around the edge of the basin, turn out onto a serving plate and drizzle with brandy or rum. Serve with low-fat Greek yogurt mixed with a tablespoon of brandy or rum. (optional)