Red Wine and Beef Casserole
Red Wine and Beef Casserole oozes flavour without even having to open a bottle of red wine
Suitable for freezing
Per serving: 294 Calories, 8g fat (excluding accompaniments)
Prep time 20 mins
Cook Time 2½ – 3 hours
400g lean chopped casserole beef
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
700ml beef stock (using a beef stock cube or beef stock pot)
2 x Red Wine stock pots
200g button mushrooms, washed
Freshly ground black pepper
- Dry fry the chopped onions in a non-stick pan with the beef until the meat changes colour then place in an ovenproof casserole.
- Add the chopped carrots, the chopped tomatoes, and the stock together with the beef stock cube/pot and the two red wine stock pots, reserving the mushrooms till later.
- Add three sprigs of fresh thyme, plus a tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme and the freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover the casserole with a lid then place the casserole in a moderate oven (180°C, 350°F, Gas 4) for 30 minutes then turn the oven temperature down to 170°C, 325°F, Gas 3 for a further 60 minutes.
- After an hour, remove the casserole from the oven and check if there is enough liquid. Stir well, adding more water if necessary. Now add the button mushrooms and replace into the oven for another hour.
- If the liquid is too thin, thicken with a heaped teaspoon of cornflour mixed with a little cold water and stir into the casserole until it thickens.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green vegetables.