Chicken Jalfrezi is a really quick and easy recipe guaranteed to get your taste buds dancing! You can substitute diced beef or lamb for the chicken – just allow 20 minutes’ extra cooking time for the meat to tenderise. For vegetarians, Quorn ﬁllets work really well.
Per serving: 288 Calories, 5g fat (excluding rice)
Prep time 10 mins
Cook Time 25 mins
4 skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsps garam masala
1 x 2.5cm (1in) piece fresh ginger, ﬁnely chopped
2 red onions, diced
1 red and 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small red chilli, sliced
juice of 1 lime
2 tsps vegetable bouillon stock powder or crushed stock cube
900g tomato passata
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
fresh mint leaves to garnish
- Slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces, season with black pepper and place in a bowl. Add the cumin, ground coriander, garam masala and ginger and mix well.
- Preheat a non-stick wok until hot. Dry-fry the onions, peppers and garlic for 2 – 3 minutes until they start to colour.
- Add the chicken and continue cooking for 5 – 6 minutes until the chicken starts to change colour. Add the remaining ingredients except for the fresh coriander and mint. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving stir in the coriander and mint. Spoon into a warmed serving dish and garnish with mint leaves.
- Serve with boiled basmati rice. To cook the rice place 1 Blue Portion Pot® (55g, 208kcal) of uncooked rice per person in boiling water with a vegetable stock cube. Cook according to instructions.