Aubergine Tagine with Roast Garlic
Aubergine Tagine with Roast Garlic is a traditional Moroccan slowly cooked stew, bursting with unusual flavour from fruits and spices, in a rich succulent sauce. This vegetarian version is simply delicious.
Per serving: 103 calories, 1.5g fat
Prep time 25 mins
Cook time 90 mins
3 medium aubergines
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 small bulb fennel
2 medium red onions
2 red peppers, seeded
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 x 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
150ml (¼ pint) vegetable stock
6 cardamom pods
2 tablespoons tomato purée
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper
extra chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
- Take 2 of the aubergines and slice down the centre lengthways with a sharp knife. Using a dessertspoon, scoop out the centres, taking care not to damage the outer skin. Season the shells with salt and black pepper and place, skin-side up, on a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 20—25 minutes until soft. Remove and set aside.
- While the aubergines are baking, wrap the garlic cloves in a small piece of aluminium foil and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the fennel and the remaining vegetables by cutting into rough pieces, about 1 cm (½”) thick.
- Preheat a large non-stick saucepan, add the vegetables and cook briskly for 8 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown. Add the cumin, cinnamon, coriander and roast garlic and cook for 1 minute before adding the chopped tomatoes and stock.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove 3 strips of orange peel from the orange, and then squeeze out the juice from the orange. Add the strips of orange peel and the orange juice to the saucepan.
- Place the cardamom pods on a chopping board. Using the broad blade of a chopping knife, crush the pods and remove the inner black seeds. Discard the pods and crush the black seeds. Add the seeds, tomato purée and parsley to the saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Place the pre-roasted aubergine shells into an ovenproof dish, spoon in the tagine and bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, garnish with parsley.
- Serve hot with couscous, rice or potatoes.