Queen of Puddings
Queen of Puddings is a traditional dessert consisting of a baked bread and custard base spread with jam and topped with meringue.
Per serving: 289 calories, 3g fat
Cook time 30 mins
300ml skimmed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
115g caster sugar
75g fresh white breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons dark plum jam
3 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4
- Heat the milk and vanilla extract in a small saucepan until just boiling.
- Beat the egg yolks with half the caster sugar, then pour the milk over, whisking to combine.
- Divide the breadcrumbs between 4 individual ramekin dishes and pour the custard mixture over the breadcrumbs. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until set.
- Remove from the oven and spread with the jam.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, then continue whisking as you add the remaining sugar very slowly, a teaspoon at a time. Place the mixture in a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe the mixture over the jam to form a pyramid shape
- Return the puddings to the oven for 10 minutes to allow the meringue to crisp.
- Serve hot or cold with low-fat live Greek yogurt.