This all-in-one casserole combines chicken and vegetables in a rich tomato sauce. Fresh herbs give the sauce a real taste of Provence.
Per serving 235 kcal/8.6g fat
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 45 minutes
1 medium onion, ﬁnely chopped
4 large skinless chicken breasts
2 garlic cloves, crushed
150ml (1⁄4 pint) chicken stock
1 tbsp plain ﬂour
3 tbsps red wine
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp chopped fresh mixed herbs
115g (4oz) button mushrooms
115g (4oz) swede, peeled and diced
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5.
- Dry-fry the onion in a non-stick frying pan until soft.
- Season the chicken on both sides and add to the pan, lightly browning on each side.
- Remove the chicken and place in an ovenproof dish.
- Add the garlic and 2 tbsps of stock to the onion and stir in the ﬂour. ‘Cook out’ for 1 minute, then add the remaining stock, wine and tomatoes. Stir in the mixed herbs, mushrooms and swede, and bring to the boil. Pour over the chicken and cover with aluminium foil.
- Place in the centre of the oven for 30 – 35 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.