Fresh Fish Medley with White Sauce
Fresh Fish Medley with White Sauce combines white fish with salmon in this low-fat, low-calorie, super-healthy dish.
Per serving: Calories and fat depend on the fish used
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
For the sauce:
300ml semi-skimmed milk
1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
I onion, sliced
3 dried bay leaves
1 tablespoon cornflour plus 40ml cold milk.
For the fish:
2 portions cod
1 portion of smoked haddock
1 salmon steak
freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the onions coarsely and place in a saucepan with the milk, peppercorns, bay leaves and the crumbled vegetable stock cube. Heat slowly and do not allow to boil.
- When almost boiling, remove from the heat and place a lid over the pan to allow the flavours to marinade. Keep to one side.
- Place 1 tablespoon of cornflour in a small bowl or jug and mix with the 40 ml cold milk until smooth. Keep to one side.
- Cook the fish as below.
- When the fish is almost ready to serve, strain the warm milk through a sieve to remove the onion, peppercorns and bay leaves to be discarded. Re-heat the milk in a saucepan on a gentle heat.
- Re-stir the cornflour paste to a smooth consistency as it will have settled at the bottom of the bowl or jug.
- When the milk is hot, stir or whisk in the cornflour paste to thicken the sauce, and simmer for two minutes, stirring occasionally. If the sauce is too thin, add more slaked cornflour and stir continuously as you mix it in to the hot sauce.
- Place the fish portions in a large dish in a single layer. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and cover with clingfilm if using in a microwave.
- Place in the microwave and cook on a moderate to high heat 600/800w for 4 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Allow to rest and keep warm. Alternatively, if cooking in an oven, cover with aluminium foil to cook in the centre of a moderate oven for 15 minutes.
- Drain the juices from the fish into the white sauce and stir well. Remove the skin from the salmon and place the cooked fish into a hot serving dish.
- Pour over the hot white sauce and serve with fresh vegetables and new potatoes in their skins.